Mansion of Palanga Counts Tiškevičiai
Eduardas Fransua Andrė (Édouard François André, 1840–1911) Palanga Counts Tiškevičiai Mansion at the beginning of the 20th century Palanga Botanical Park from the bird‘s-eye view. Multicolour project illustration from the journal Revue horticole (1906). Juozas Grikienis Reproduction (1987). It was the first published design document of Palanga Botanical Park (R. Pilkauskas. From the past of Palanga Botanical Park // Kultūros barai, 1987, No. 6, p. 64–65.) Palanga Counts Tiškevičiai Mansion at the beginning of the 20th century The Great Hall of Palanga Counts Tiškevičiai Mansion at the beginning of the 20th century

Count Feliksas Tiškevičius (1870-1932) and Antanina Koržbok-Loncka (1870–1952) married in 1893. In the sacred forest of Birutė in Palanga the new family decided to build a mansion for representation and a permanent family life. At the same time, French landscape architect Édouard François André (1840–1911) was asked to design the landscape park around the mansion while German architect Franz Heinrich Schwechten (1841–1924) got the order from counts Antanina and Feliksas Tiškevičiai to design the project of the mansion itself.

F. Schwechten was one of the most famous German architects in the late 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. That fact is emphasized also in the monograph of Peer Zietz published in Stuttgart in 1998. In this publication there is a list made by F. Schwechten himself of all the buildings he designed, including mansion of Palanga counts Tiškevičiai. This project was completed in 1897.

In 2006, in the Secret State Archives of Prussian Cultural Heritage 74 drawings and sketches of Palanga mansion designed by F. Schwechten were found. Firstly all these projects were exhaustively researched by dr. Małgorzata Omiłanowska. The mansion of counts Tiškevičiai was modern building, equipped with the latest technical facilities: sewerage, hot and cold running water supplied from the tubes, central heating, elevator by the kitchen. In 1907 F. Schwechten also designed a chapel nearby which was built on the Western side of the mansion. Sadly during the construction of the mansion and designing of the park not all of count’s and artists’ plans were implemented. The 20th century wars damaged the mansion severely. The mansion suffered through fires, and once there were even barracks built. Until these days preserved mansion’s homestead elements and archives’ material reveals one of the most fascinating ideas implemented on the private initiative during the turn of the century.

The mansion was restored in 1957. For several years it adopted Lithuanian Artists Association’s House of Creativity. In 1963 Lithuanian Art Museum’s branch, the Palanga Amber Museum, was established in the mansion. During the period of year 2011 – 2014, the mansion was under reconstruction: the ground floor was adapted for the needs of the museum, the customer service terminal was installed, new vases were built on the Northern terrace and a newly prepared exhibition was equipped in the renovated halls.

Home