Present Exhibitions

 


   

Dream on a winter night

Amber jewellery by Tamara Beletskaya

December 04, 2015 - April 30, 2016

In the exhibition “Dream on a winter night” the amber jewellery created by Kaliningrad artist Tamara Beletskaya is presented. The artist combines amber with topaz, agate, nephrite, amethyst, malachite and other minerals. T. Beletskaya “constructs“ her jewellery evaluating the sculpture, colour, form of the minerals and amber. Amber combined with metal, paper or textile becomes alive and smartly joined different materials blend in a harmonic entirety. The artist creates unrepeatable rhythmic combinations in which the astonishing vegetable motifs emerge. In the exhibition the visitors will get acquainted with several samples of the author‘s clothes design as well.

T. Beletskaya was born on 24 October, 1959. In 1981, she graduated from the Minsk Technological School and got the qualification of an artist-modeller. In 2006, she graduated from the Moscow Fashion Industry Institute and the International Academy of Business and Management. In 1980, she created her first personal fashion collection. In 1988 the artist established the Fashion Theatre which developed into the Fashion House, in 1996. In 2010, there was a turn in T. Beletskaya‘s creative work and she dedicated herself to the jewellery art. The artist created over one thousand jewellery samples of amber and other semi-precious gems. She successfully collaborates with Kaliningrad Amber Factory since 2011. The jewellery is mass-produced following the author‘s precreated samples.

T. Beletskaya participates in various competitions and festivals in Russia and other countries and she has won a number of first prizes. The works of the artist are often exhibited in Kaliningrad Amber Museum in which several personal exhibitions were organized. She participates in charitable events, leads activities for children with special educational needs.

 

The Radiance

A Retrospective Exhibition of Works by Feliksas Daukantas

April 25, 2015 - June 01,2016

The retrospective exhibition is dedicated to the 100th birth anniversary of Feliksas Daukantas (1915–1995), a famous Lithuanian designer and jeweller. This exhibition signifies the artist's creative heritage, and also explicates the Lithuanian design history, as the artist laid the ground for the national design school. The Amber museum preserves a great part of the author's creative heritage – 338 exhibits.

The jewellery articles of the artist’s early creative period were acquired in 1968 and the ones of the later period – in 1995. The artist's works were exhibited worldwide: in "Expo-67 in Montreal (Canada); “Expo 70 in Osaka (Japan); in Paris (France) and Salzburg (Austria) in 1973; in Linz and Vienna (Austria) in 1974; in Expo 2012 in Yeosu (South Korea), where the Lithuanian pavilion was awarded a silver medal. In Palanga F. Daukantas’ one-man exhibitions were held in 1975 and 1995. In 1970 the artist created the coat of arms of Palanga city, which was slightly adjusted by an artist Gražina Oškinytė-Eimanavičienė and was officially approved in 1996.

F. Daukantas left a distinct mark in the history of the Lithuanian design. In 1961–1985 he was the Head of the Design Department of the Art Institute (now – the Vilnius Academy of Fine Arts), and worked there till 1992.

He developed a methodological framework for defining the particularity of a designer’s activity, took care of dissemination of the Lithuanian design achievements in mass media. In the prevailing context of the Soviet ideology he managed to emphasize the significance of artistic expression – the objective beauty of things based on the aesthetic and utilitarian function ratio.

F. Daukantas, as the pioneer of the jewellery, made an invaluable contribution to the Lithuanian culture. The artist changed the concept of amber jewellery, was against the processing methods damaging the nature of amber, and influenced the development of amber jewellery and material perception. F. Daukantas also created leather and metal works, but his amber woks are of particular interest. He devoted much attention to amber while making standard models for mass production at "Dailė" factory. His jewellery making stylistics became an example for other artists. In order to break away from the stereotypes in this area, F. Daukantas initiated negative amber carving, made jewellery from unified parts, but  he particularly tried to emphasise the natural qualities of amber.

The exhibition "The Radiance" was opened on April 26, 2015, in the presence of an abundant F. Daukantas family.

 

 

THE PALACE OF COUNTS TYSZKIEWICZ IN PALANGA:

NOBLES‘ RESIDENCE, THE HOUSE OF ARTISTS, AMBER MUSEUM

 Palanga is different from other seaside resorts as it owns a unique historical cultural subject – a magnificent summer residence of Counts of Feliks and Antanina  Tyszkiewicz which was created by famous European architects German Franz Heinrich Schwechten and French Edouard Fransua Andre in the turn of the 19th – 20th centuries. Nowadays meanders aristocratic park trails from the Baltic Sea sands, dune, Birutė Hill, cozy glades, mysterious ponds, spacious parterres lead to the Amber Museum of Palanga which has been located in the representational palace since 1963 and which has become not only one of the most visited  museums at the seaside of Lithuania but also well-known in the World.

                                                                                                            R.Budrys

 

FOUNDING OF THE RESIDENCE OF COUNTS TYSZKIEWICZ  IN PALANGA

The Palace Project, according to Counts Feliks and Antanina Tyszkiewicz commission, was designed by German architect Franz Heinrich Schwechten (1841–1924) who lived in Berlin. In 2006 in Berlin 74 of his drafts and drawings of the Palanga Palace interior decorations were discovered by the experts of Confidential Prussia Cultural Heritage Archive (Geheimes Staatsarchiv Preussischer Kulturbesitz). In the late 19th century a landscape park was laid out by a famous French garden and landscape architect Edouard Andre (Édouard François André, 1840–1911). This architect set up 4 parks in Lithuania, and more than 100 parks all over the world. The area of the Palanga park was 36 hectares.

  ARISTOCRATIC ENVIRONMENT OF THE PALACE OF TYSZKIEWICZ

 Palace interior decorations was the result of consistent project realization made by Schwechten. It was designed in Rococo style, in accordance with the model which was popular in the late 19th century. Survived moldings, marble, mirrors witness about it. The interior was decorated by valuable works of art – sculptures, pictures, tapestries. In the Palace Archaeological Amber Collection of Feliks Tyszkiewicz was cherished. In 1900 Count Feliks Tyszkiewicz presented the collection in the World Exhibition in Paris. The Palace was provided by most recent technical equipment.

 THE PIETY SIGNS OF COUNTS  TYSZKIEWICZ IN RESIDENCE

In 1907 Counts decided to build a chapel on the western side of the palace and because of such an extention they refered to the architect Schwechten again.  The architect decided on octagonal shape of the building. From the north and south part he projected quite large rectangular windows with triangle pediments above them, and in slanting walls – small oval holes. In 1899 in the northen part of footboard of Birutė Hill Count Feliks Tyszkiewicz established  Lourdes Grotto with Mother of God statue, and in the centre of the park he set down the sculpture of  Christ Blessing in the beginning of the 20th century.

  THE PALACE OF COUNTS  TYSZKIEWICZ DURING WORLD WAR I

In 1916 Counts Tyszkiewicz asked Schwechten for a  help to extend the Palace again. During the World War I they didn‘t live in the Palanga Palace, but they spent their time in Poznane, in the brothers‘ estates of Count Antanina Tyszkiewicz. Counts Tyszkiewicz decided to commission the Project in order to extend the palace roof mansard and prepare guest rooms. The Project was prepared but not implemented. After having returned to Palanga, they found the Palace destroyed. The walls and interior of chapel were especially hit by a battle ball.

                                     THE PALACE OF COUNTS  TYSZKIEWICZ DURING INDEPENDENCE PERIOD

In 1931 sea bridge and 11 hectars of park and forest was bought from the Count Feliks Tyszkiewicz and in 1933 the Birutė Hill and 19,7 hectars around it was refered to association. During the land reform, Counts Tyszkiewicz lost a part of their property and had financial difficulties. Since 1932 negotiations  selling the Palace and the park were going on. Then, in 1937, Counts Tyszkiewicz property in Palanga included  the complex of the Palace and park  (the House, stage, the house of steward and driver, stables, 2 barns, cattle shed, greenhouses), Kurhauz, the restaurant „Pajūris“, hospital, summerhouses „Danutė“ and „Zbyšek“. The property was worth 1 million litas.

 THE PALACE OF COUNTS  TYSZKIEWICZ DURING THE WORLD WAR II

During  the World War  II military stations were established in the Palace. Russian marine aviation units, under the leadership of Josif Stalin‘s son, were put up at Palanga. In June of  1944, when The Red army started attacking  Byelorussia, the front approached Lithuania. In the same year Russian units occupied Palanga. During the World War II the Palace was terribly devastated.

 THE PALACE OF TYSZKIEWICZ – THE HOUSE OF ARTISTS‘WORK AND RECREATION

In 1956 the Palace was renewed according to the project of architect Alfredas Brusokas. In the building Lithuanian Artists union‘s art-house, where artists worked and lived, existed for some time. In the beginning of January 1957, the Art House of Palanga opening ceremony was held. The leader of the first artists group, consisting of 40 artists from the whole Soviet Union, was a famous Lithuanian painter Antanas Žmuidzinavičius.

 THE PALACE OF TYSZKIEWICZ – A PLACE OF PALANGA AMBER MUSEUM

Amber Museum in Palanga was established on the 3rd of August in 1963 in the Palace of Counts Tyszkiewicz. The establishment was initiated by the director of Art Museum of Lithuania who also started collecting the exhibits. The first exposition was created by current director Romualdas Budrys who has been going on preparing expositional (six amber expositions have been created so far) and investigative works. There are more than 30 thousand exhibits in the collections of the Museum; one of them – collection of 15 thousand inclusions – is one of the biggest and scientifically valuable collections in the world. Amber Museum of Lithuania has been collecting, taking care, exposing, preparing exhibitions, scientific amber studies, preserving and renewing amber exhibits for 50 years. The Palace of Counts Tyszkiewicz is opened to the lovers of classical music, poetry and science.


Home