JuozapasTiškevičius, Jr. (1830–1891)
During the period of 1856 and 1891, the military figure of Tsarist Russia JuozapasTiškevičius Jr., the son of JuozapasTiškevičius the Elder, was a governor in Palanga. In 1844 J. Tiškevičius Jr. inherited Palanga mansion also purchasing Užutrakis and Lentvaris mansions. In 1856 the count built Swiss-style mansion and set up the park by the lake in Lentvaris. J. Tiškevičius Jr. created the resort in Palanga. On his initiative the hotel and restaurant ‘Kurhaus’ of Palanga, places for spa and bathing were built, and in the South-Western side of the village he recreated the park of the former mansion of Palanga. In 1862 J. Tiškevičius Jr. rented Kretinga mansion from the count DmitrijusZubovas. After a while, in 1875, he purchased it and moved there his family residency.

J. Tiškevičius Jr. invested in industry and trade, built steam mill in Vilnius, wire and nails factory in Lentvaris, brickyard and port in Palanga. Steamship ‘Feniksas’ from Palanga port shipped bricks and agricultural production to Liepaja. Steamship moored by the wooden bridge stretched into the sea. Rietavas, Plungė and Kretinga mansions were joined by the first phone line in Lithuania. When retired in 1882, J. Tiškevičius Jr. formed an orchestra with a core of professional musicians who had come with their families from Bohemia. This orchestra played also in the resort of Palanga.

Home